Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas

So I was thinking on our way to go look at awesome Christmas lights tonight and seeing people collecting food and toys for people in need.....it's great to do that and all but why only this time of year.

God chose to give His ONLY son to us without asking anything truly of us and then His Son gave us His life so we can have eternal life. That is the ultimate gift and we know that. But what I'm thinking I that Jesus tells us to be like Him and He gave everything! Not expecting anything in return. All he asks is that we accept him as our savior and have a personal relationship with him.

So all that said means Jesus calls us to be like him giving everything, our all. I'm reminded of the story of the rich young man asking Jesus what he needed to do to have eternal life and Jesus responds by saying give everything you have away and come follow me. The young man walked away. So what I see is that our society today likes to give when it's convenient or "the season for giving". Well according to Christ shouldn't all the time be "the season for giving". What if he put that stipulation on our salvation. You can only get saved at this time if not sorry about your luck maybe next year. No he calls us to love and give ALL the time! Not just when society tells us it's a special time of year and people are in need. People are in need all year long! Hello! It's not going to end just because they have a nice Christmas dinner or their kids get a few gifts!

So my thinking and challenge is....give unconditionally. It doesn't have to be your money and only money but time too. We all need money so I get that but give some time to a kid who needs someone to look up to, help someone when they are down, hurt, volunteer to help people, the elderly, the poor. Don't just do it at christmas time! Lets live it out and show the world that we can and should give all year long not just because its Christmas! Lets get Christ back into Christmas and the whole year! I'm going to try to do better myself because God has laid it on my heart to give more than just at Christmas. I need to show the love of Christ more and more all through the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment